Welcome back to the new year at Little Sutton Primary School. We hope you enjoyed the Christmas holiday and we look forward to working with you and your child in 2017.
These curriculum notes are intended to give you an idea of the topics your child will be studying during the Spring term. We have also written a reminder with regards to dinner money, medication and equipment needed in school. Details with regards to homework are also included.
We hope that these notes will enable you to support your child with the work they are carrying out at school by providing them with opportunities to extend their knowledge of the subjects. We would also appreciate you supporting them to complete homework as well as ensuring they have all the equipment they will need. Please check the school website every week for homework and other information.
Below is an overview of all the subjects and topics your child will be covering in the Spring term.
- Counting in different values, forwards or backwards
- Addition & subtraction using different methods of recording
- Patterns & symmetry
- Time including days of the week and seasons
- Money recognising coins and making small totals
- Fractions – whole, halves and quarters
- Reading using a variety of clues and strategies
- Developing sight vocabulary including high frequency words
- Linking sounds of letters, naming and sounding letters of the alphabet
- Developing writing in sentences, including punctuation
- Blending sounds in words, encouraging independent spelling of words
Understanding the World
- How toys move, exploring forces, making predictions, floating & sinking
- The playground – designing a playground using construction equipment and photographs
- Old & new toys
- The story of the teddy bea
- Using a variety of programmes, keyboard and tool bars, awareness of technology in the environment, including programmable toys; Bee Bots & cameras
- Mothering Sunday
- Chinese New Year
Expressive Art & Design
- Cooking & gardening activities
- Using different media to create representations of toys
- Using backgrounds, sewing, collage
- Quiet, loud & silence when singing, playing or listening to music
- Moving to different stimuli
- Different ways of travelling, inc height & speed
- Music, Dance – The Bear Hunt
It would be most helpful if children could wear uniform that is easy to get on and off as we are trying to encourage independence.
- Reading daily
- Homework will be sent out on a weekly basis, sent out on a Friday to be returned by following Wednesday if possible.
Please ensure that inhalers and /or relevant medicines are in school and in date.
Parents Evening Thursdays 9th and 16th February
Please remember to send all drinks separate from books to avoid spillage damage to school reading books – only still unflavoured water to be allowed in class please. Children are given a choice of water or milk/juice at lunchtimes and so should not need to buy another drink from the kitchen counter.
If your child is to be collected by someone other than yourself or the named contact persons please let the school know; a note to teachers would be appreciated as it can be difficult to remember verbal messages given at the classroom door.
Please ensure that all of your child’s PE kit is named and that pumps are the correct size. PE this term will be on Monday and Thursday. Could all clothing and belongings please be re-named as names labels do fade and many are becoming difficult to read.
YR Class Assembly for Mothering Sunday Friday 24th March 9.00 a.m.
Trip to Cannock Chase toy Museum Wednesday 18th January
On a Monday afternoon, while the Reception staff use time for planning, preparation and assessment, the children will enjoy one hour of Art and one hour of Dance.
Many thanks for your continued support throughout this year.
Mrs Farmer, Mrs Wilson & Mrs Ilott