Little Sutton Primary School Year 4 Curriculum Plan
Welcome back to the new year at Little Sutton Primary School. We hope you enjoyed the Christmas holiday and we look forward to working with you and your child in 2018.
These curriculum notes are intended to give you an idea of the topics your child will be studying during the Spring term. We have also written a reminder with regards to dinner money, medication and equipment needed in school. Details with regards to homework are also included.
We hope that these notes will enable you to support your child with the work they are carrying out at school by providing them with opportunities to extend their knowledge of the subjects. We would also appreciate you supporting them to complete homework to a high standard and return it on time as well as ensuring they have all the equipment they will need.
Below is an overview of all the subjects and topics your child will be covering in the Spring term.
Maths passport focus
Multiply & divide by 10
Number: fractions and decimals
Measurement: time and money
The Matchbox Diary– whole school unit of work
Recount, explanation, instruction and discussion writing.
Continued from Autumn term…
Food chains, identifying producers, predators and prey.
Sound and the Ear
Romans; everyday life in Roman Britain; Roman roads, towns, buildings, temple, basilica, baths, amphitheatre, forum, school, villa; technology, hypocaust; art, mosaics, religion
Roman Man visit day (there will be a small charge for this).
Linked to the Romans topic – mosaics, 3D models, collage & painting.
Being modest and listening to others. Friendship. Being merciful and forgiving
Cultivating inclusion, identity and belonging. Having regard for suffering.
Children in Y4 will be learning the flute throughout the year. We will also be singing in a Charanga unit relating to Mamma Mia.
Children design & make their own pencil case.
invasion and competitive games. Aston Villa coaches will be taking some of the activities on Fridays.
Purple Mash units on Coding and Online Safety
Pencils & ruler PE Kit
Water Bottle Book Bag
- Homework can be found on the school website as well as in homework diaries.
- There will be 1 hour minimum / 1 ½ hours maximum per week.
- Please initial in the right column of the homework diary when the homework has been completed and sign at the bottom each week. Diaries will be checked and signed on Monday.
- Spellings and times tables will be tested and given out on Monday.
- Weekly Maths Passport practice.
- Maths and English homework may be in the form of a sheet or ICT based and will be given out on Monday and is due for the following Monday.
- All children need to read three times a week (a reading stage book or book of their choice if they have finished all of the stages). Reading needs to be recorded and signed by parents in their reading diaries which will also be checked on Mondays.
Please pay dinner money via your ParentPay account if possible or put money in an envelope with your child’s name and the amount enclosed on the front. Cost of dinners this year is £2.25 per day.
Please ensure that inhalers and/or relevant medicines are in school and in date.
On Tuesday afternoon while the Y4 staff use time for planning, preparation and assessment, the children will have one hour of music and one hour of French.
Parents Evening Thursdays 8th and 15th February.
Please ensure that all of your child’s PE kit is named and that pumps are the correct size. PE this term will be on a Monday and Tuesday. Could all clothing and belongings please be re-named as names labels do fade and many are becoming difficult to read.
You may have seen on the newsletters and calendar of events that the Y4 class assembly is on Wednesday 14th February at 9.00 a.m. This will take place in Johnson Hall and all parents are invited.
Please do not hesitate to contact us about any queries you may have.
Many thanks for your continued support throughout this year,
Miss Peck and Miss Acris.