Little Sutton Primary School Year 4 Curriculum Plan
Welcome back to the last term at Little Sutton Primary School for this academic year. We hope you enjoyed the Easter holiday.
These curriculum notes are intended to give you an idea of the topics your child will be studying during the Summer term. We have also written a reminder with regards to dinner money, medication and equipment needed in school. Details with regards to homework are also included.
We hope that these notes will enable you to support your child with the work they are carrying out at school by providing them with opportunities to extend their knowledge of the subjects. We would also appreciate you supporting them to complete homework to a high standard and return it on time as well as ensuring they have all the equipment they will need.
Below is an overview of all the subjects and topics your child will be covering in the Summer term.
Narrative talk for writing based on a picture book
Non- chronological report writing
Standard methods for all four operations
Place Value, ordering & rounding Problem solving
Liquid measures Fractions
States of matter Scientific investigation
Purple Mash units on spreadsheets, animation, and effective searching.
Naming and locating UK counties and cities
UK geographical regions and their identifying human and physical characteristics
Key topographical features
UK land use patterns and change over time
Comparison with Spain.
Local geography study- Sutton Coldfield
Local History – Sutton Coldfield
Living by rules, being temperate, exercising self-discipline and cultivating serene contentment, Being imaginative and explorative/appreciating beauty.
Cricket, tennis and athletics – Tuesday and Friday 4th June – Sutton Cricket Club Trip
Continuing to learn to play the flute
- Homework can be found on the school website as well as in homework diaries.
- There will be 1 hour minimum / 1 ½ hours maximum per week.
- Please initial in the right column of the homework diary when the homework has been completed and sign at the bottom each week. Diaries will be checked and signed on Monday.
- Spellings and times tables will be tested and given out on Monday.
- Weekly Maths Passport practice.
- Maths and English homework may be in the form of a sheet or ICT based and will be given out on Monday and is due for the following Monday.
- All children need to read three times a week (a reading stage book or book of their choice if they have finished all of the stages). Reading needs to be recorded and signed by parents in their reading diaries which will also be checked on Mondays.
General classroom equipment; pencil, sharpener, rubber, crayons.
PE kits should be kept in school Monday to Friday as occasionally it may be used on days other than above, e.g. selecting house rounders teams etc.
Dinner money, trips etc
We ask that you pay for trips and dinner money via ParentPay wherever possible, if you are unable to do this then please put money in an envelope with your child’s name and the amount enclosed on the front Please note that the cost of a school meal has gone up by 5p to £2.30 per day from 1st April.
Please ensure that inhalers and/or relevant medicines are in school and in date.
During June all children in Years 1, 3 & 4 will sit tests in English and Maths. These are not intended to put children under any pressure but are part of our ongoing assessment, which helps us target any individual problems and highlights areas for development.
On Tuesday afternoons, while the Y4 staff use time for planning, preparation and assessment, the children will enjoy one hour of Music and one hour of French.
Dates for your Diary
Sports Day Friday 29th June
Many thanks for your continued support throughout this year please feel free to come and see us at any time should a problem arise.
Miss Peck & Miss Acris