It is week 5 of our first half term of Year 2 already! The children have settled into their new routines brilliantly and have made a super start to Year 2.
Our trip to the Wild Zoological Park last week was a great success. We are so proud of how well behaved the children were throughout the day – they were a credit to our school! Our work on animals and their habitats will continue this week.
This week in Maths we will be working on counting in tens to improve fluency, addition of two-digit numbers and addition missing number sentences. We will be making links in our learning and thinking carefully about what prior knowledge we can use to help us solve problems.
In English, we are having a go at innovating the story of the Snail and the Whale. We will be thinking of our own characters, settings, problems and solutions. Our ambitious vocabulary this week is below:
We are really pleased to see and hear that the children are enjoying our Year 2 reading challenge – it seems lots of us have made an excellent start. Please remind your children to show their teacher their Reading Challenge Passports as soon as they have reached the next milestone target!
- Please practise the spellings and times tables in the back of your red spelling books – tests for these take place on Monday mornings
- Please practise your Maths Passport targets – if you need a new sheet or are not sure what your child’s target is, please ask. Maths Passport tests take place on Wednesday mornings
- Please listen to your child read their reading group books – our reading group focuses are structured as follows: Tuesday, decoding practise; Wednesday, reading with prosody/expression; Thursday, comprehension
- Please make sure your child’s reading folders are in their bags everyday
- Keep an eye on our twitter page (@littlesub75) and our weekly Newsletter for updates
Year 2 staff; Ms Hawkes and Ms Sanghera.