The Christmas Play rehearsals continue in Year 2 this week! The children were all given a letter on Friday with details of their required costumes. Please send your child’s costume into school on Monday 29th November ahead of the dress rehearsal and performance the following week. Thank you.
This week in Year 2, we will be continuing with our Geography topic on Continents and Oceans. The children have worked really hard to remember the continents and oceans of the world and will apply their knowledge as they write about the journeys of ships.
In Maths we will be continuing our work on subtraction. We have learned different methods of solving subtraction and this week, the children will be encouraged to draw on their knowledge to use the most appropriate method for a range of subtraction questions.
To deepen our knowledge further, we will be discussing and explaining why each method works and helps us to solve subtraction in the different scenarios. The children’s knowledge of number bonds is excellent and this has been invaluable during this unit of work – well done Year 2!
In English this week, we will be thinking about autumn! Year 2 will head out for an autumnal walk across the school grounds, building a word bank using our senses along the way. The children will then use their word banks to write their own autumn poems and think carefully about expanded noun phrases.
Our ambitious vocabulary for the week is:
- Please practise the spellings and times tables in the back of your red spelling books – tests for these take place on Monday mornings – spellings can be practised on School Jotter
- Please practise your Maths Passport targets – if you need a new sheet or are not sure what your child’s target is, please ask. Maths Passport tests take place on Wednesday mornings
- Please listen to your child read their reading group books – our reading group focuses are structured as follows: Tuesday, decoding practise; Wednesday, reading with prosody/expression; Thursday, comprehension.
- Please make sure your child’s reading folders are in their bags everyday
- Keep an eye on our twitter page (@littlesub75) and our weekly Newsletter for updates
Thank you for your continued support.
Year 2 staff; Ms Hawkes and Ms Sanghera.